LGBTQAI in CapNY
If you are queer and you are considering moving to the Capital Region or just recently started living here, here are some stats to consider:
- Albany ranks 66% above the national average for people who self-identify as gay or lesbian (U.S. Census, 2000).
- Human Rights Campaign gave Albany a perfect score on its 2017 Municipal Equality Index, which takes into account non-discrimination laws, hate crimes, pro-equality legislation and a number of other pro-LGBTQ+ indicators.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region is the oldest continuously operating LGBTQ center in the country. Based in Albany, the Pride Center has been meeting the diverse needs of the LGBTQ community since 1970.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region hosts the Capital Pride Festival, one of the largest celebrations of pride in Upstate New York every June.
Resources & Organizations
full-service restaurants (more than the U.S. average)
breweries across 8 counties (NYC only has 24!)
cideries, distilleries, wineries, & meaderies
CapNY Food & Drink at Your Fingertips
- Five CapNY Artisanal Foods You Must Try!We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again…CapNY is every foodie’s dream. We have an abundance of farm-to-table restaurants, nationally known farms, and incredibly unique food producers. Read on to learn more about five artisanal food makers that haveContinue reading “Five CapNY Artisanal Foods You Must Try!”
- All Are Welcome Here: Embracing Newcomers in CapNYMy father tells a story: twenty years ago in Ballston Spa NY, someone spotted a group of Mexican immigrants walking up Route 50 in January. Just released from the Saratoga County jail, they had no coats or hats. They woreContinue reading “All Are Welcome Here: Embracing Newcomers in CapNY”
- Brush Up on Your Skills: Staying Agile in CapNYLearning a new skill for fun or to try and build up a side hustle is a great way to stay busy, meet new friends, and keep your portfolio diverse and interesting. When 2020 began, no one expected the yearContinue reading “Brush Up on Your Skills: Staying Agile in CapNY”